- It is called as sunshine vitamin – it is because , it becomes active in the body only with the help of sunlight .
- It is a fat soluble vitamin
- Vitamin -D felicitates internal absorption of calcium , so if vitamin D is not there calcium is not absorbed efficiently .
- Vitamin -D it stimulates absorption of phosphate and magnesium
- Best time to get exposed in sun is between – 7.30 – 9 am ( at least – 15 to 30 mts )
- 400 IU/ day- up to 1yr
- 600 IU / day-up (1-70 yrs.)
- 800 -900 IU for elderly above 70yrs
SOURCES OF VITAMIN D
- ANIMAL SOURCES – fish (salmons, sardines ) ,egg(yolks)
- PLANT SOURCES – spinach , okra (ladies finger) , soya beans
DEFICIENCY OF VITAMIN D
- Recurrent infections
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Bone and back pain
- Impaired wound healing
- Hair loss – alopecia areata
VITAMIN K – FAT SOLUBLE VITAMIN
- Vitamin k got its name from German word ‘koagulations vitamin ‘
- Vitamin k1 and k2 are commonly used
- Vitamin k1- phytonadione9(source – leafy green and vegetables ) , vitamin k2- menaquinine (got from ,meats , cheese , eggs and synthesized by bacterial in intestine )
KEY ROLE OF VITAMIN K
- It helps the blood to clot. hence prevent excessive bleeding ( warfarin blocks effect of vitamin k ) .it produces prothrombin which is a protein and clotting facts
- Used in IV feeding
- Used when antibiotics have killed vitamin k in intestine .
VITAMIN K – PROTHROMBIN
- Clotting factors
- Bone metabolism
Vitamin k for bones
- Maintains strong bones
- Improves bone density
- Decreases risk of fracture
- Heart – helps in keep blood pressure lower by preventing mineralization ( minerals built in arteries ) , hence help heart to pump blood freely ( mineralization occurs because of old ageing and is risk for heart disease .
- Women above 19 – 90 micrograms
- Men above 19 – 120 micrograms
SOURCES OF VITAMIN K1
- PLANT SOURCES – leafy vegetables ( spinach ) , kate , carrots , cucumber , turnip , collards , parsley , broccoli , tomatoes , avocado , pomegranate , kiwi , apples , grapes , almonds
- Diary products
- Vegetable oils
SOURCES OF VITAMINK2
- ANIMALs- liver (beef liver ) , eggs , milk ,yogurt , cheese
DEFICIENCY OF VITAMIN K
- Especially children leads to bleeding, as decreased vitamin k means decreased clotting . it can occur inside /outside
- Easy bruising
- Oozing of blood from nose /gums
- Excessive bleeding from wounds , puncture , injuries or surgical site
- Heavy menstrual bleeding and checked out all other causes .
- Blood in urine /stool
- Increased risk of fracture or osteoporosis
TEST TO KNOW IF DEFICIENT IN VITAMIN K
- Prothrombin time (11 to 13.5 sec)
CAUSES OF VITAMIN K DEFIENCY
- Liver disease
- Chronic condition – cancer , chemotherapy , chronic dialysis patient
- Mal absorption – cystic fibrosis , celiac disease , chronic pancreatitis/ crohns disease
Homoeopathic medicines will be given to the depending according to the underlining disease condition that is if is caused due to any liver disease , gastrointestinal tract , alcoholism ,by giving medicine these disease will be corrected , it due to some absorption problem that will also be correct with the help of our homoeopathic medicines.
Your Homeopath Kerala
Restore Your Health Naturally With Homeopathy.